Monday 30 November 2015

Couple who Survived Tunisian Beach Massacre Cancels Wedding after Trauma Tears their Relationship Apart


A couple who survived the Tunisian beach massacre have ended their eight year relationship after the trauma of the attack tore their relationship apart. Kirsty Murray and Radley Ruszkiewicz called off their wedding five months after the attack in June, which left 38 dead, including 30 British holidaymakers.
The couple became separated during the attack, and Radley believed Kirsty was dead until being tearfully reunited 24-hours later.

They vowed to never be separated again, delighted by the 'second chance' they had been given.

But it wasn't to be: despite their determination to stay together and start the life they had dreamed of,
the memories of the day would eventually drive them apart.

'It's a hurdle no couple dream they'll have to face,' Kirsty said. 'I never thought Radley and I would split up, but the trauma was too much. 
'I'm devastated, but I don't think Radley's a bad person. I'll always be grateful he tried so hard to save my life but what we've been through would test even the strongest of couples.'
The couple, from Braintree, in Essex, met when 26-year-old Kirsty was just 18, and Radley had proposed last Christmas, and the two were hoping to marry next year.

Gunman: Seifeddine Rezgui killed 38 people in June, when he attack the hotel where the couple were staying

When they went to Tunisia in June - a holiday they afforded thanks to an unexpected tax rebate - the couple were trying for a baby.
But then, on Friday, June 26, as the couple were in the swimming pool of the Riu Imperial Marhaba Hotel, they heard a strange noise.

Moments later, they were running for their lives as Seifeddine Rezgui continued his murderous rampage.

The 23-year-old Tunisian caught up with them in the hotel lobby, where he threw a grenade - separating the couple, and injuring Radley, 29. Rezgui then walked up to Kirsty and shot her five times in the legs.

Losing a lot of blood, Kirsty believed she was going to die - only to be saved by a Tunisian man who tried to stem the flow. Kirsty and Radley were then taken to different hospitals, both believing the other was dead.


 It took 24 hours to be reunited, and they were flown home three days later.
'When I was shot, I accepted I was dying and that I'd never marry Radley, or have his children,' Kirsty revealed. 
'But when we found each other, I felt like we'd been given a second chance.. We were both sobbing uncontrollably as we hugged and cried.' 
But that was only the start of what would be a very long and painful process, with Kirsty needing another seven operations to save her leg.
And the couple found they could not even sleep in the same bed - hampered not only by Kirsty's painful injuries, and Radley's fear of hurting her further, but also by waking each other up screaming as they relived the massacre in their dreams.

'Mentally I still feel I'm in the middle of the attack. I don't feel I've gotten away yet. I still feel I'm not safe,' Radley told ITV in September.
Speaking this week, Kirsty said:
'We were still determined to have the future we'd planned. But, when we got home to England, reality set in. We were both constantly on edge, jumping at the slightest noise, terrified it was a gunshot. We walked on eggshells to avoid upsetting each other. We couldn't talk about what had happened as one of us would always break down. 
We tried to sleep in the same bed, but my injuries were too bad - plus one of us would always wake in the night, shaking and crying after dreaming we were back at the hotel.'
In their grief and shock, they found themselves growing apart.

But Kirsty was desperate to save the relationship, suggesting counselling - but Radley wasn't keen, and moved out of their shared home so they could both get a bit of space.
After two weeks, Radley contacted his fiancee, confirming the relationship was at an end.

Kirsty was devastated, but admits they both had changed in the wake of the massacre, and were simply unable to recover and move on.
'Radley's very protective - I think he felt guilty he hadn't been able to protect me and that my injuries were worse than his,' she said.
'I wish we could have talked it through in person but it's too painful. I really hope one day we can be friends. We've been through so much. My life has been turned upside down and it's hard to accept that if it hadn't been for the terror attack, I'd still be with Radley. 
But I have to keep reminding myself I'm lucky to be here. So many others weren't so fortunate.'


DailyMail UK