Thursday 10 December 2015

Couple buys stranger a car after seeing him walking home from a long day's work


This is the emotional moment a couple hand over the keys of a car to a stranger they gave a lift home to a few weeks earlier. Sean Merrill and his wife Darilyn were driving home when they spotted school caretaker Robert Ford walking.

Mr Merrill said: "I was stopped at a red light I saw a middle aged man walking through the crosswalk directly in front of my car.

"It was 9:45pm and this man seemed tired from a long days work, walking with lunch box in hand and a slight droop of the head.

"I felt a strong impression to stop and ask him if he needed a ride.

"My wife agreed, so I pulled over.

"In that brief trip Robert told us that he missed his bus that day.

"It takes him two and a half hours on public transportation to get to work and that same commute home after his day is over."


After that trip, the couple hatched a plan and along with Robert's sister-in-law Kathy, they set up a GoFundMe account in a bid to raise enough cash to buy the man a car. Mr Merrill, a mechanic and owner of Nobori Auto, found a car and fixed it up for Robert after they Merrill has been raised enough money to pay for the car and insurance.



The footage shows an emotional Robert in shock when he is handed over the keys

He said: "If it wasn't for them, I'd be still riding the bus.

"I owe them a lot, and I'm going to do my best … to help somebody else."

While Mr Merrill added: "I think it's important to take a step back and think about others and think about that they are a person just like you.

"They go through the same struggles, maybe different experiences, but everyone needs help now and again."